Welcome to Scott County Child Support Services

The Scott County Child Support Office in Georgetown, Kentucky aims to ensure children receive financial and medical support.


Child Support In Scott County

Child support is an essential element in taking care of a child. In the majority of cases, the parent who does not have custody will pay child support to the custodial parent.

The Scott County Child Support Office in Georgetown, Kentucky is a government agency committed to ensuring that custodial parents receive the child support payments they are entitled to. The agency also assists noncustodial parents in meeting their child support obligations.

Our local child support office may assist parents and guardians with various issues. The following are the top child support services available in Scott County:

Both parents and/or the child’s guardian can apply for child support services.

A child support order cannot be made until the whereabouts of both parents are known.

The parent who is being asked to pay will be legally notified that they have been named in a child support case.

If you are named in a case, you have the right to obtain legal paternity documentation, and we will assist you.

A judge decides a child support amount after they review your information.

After a child support order is set, payments are scheduled to begin, usually deducted from the noncustodial parent’s paycheck.

If parents don’t pay or choose to delay their child’s support, administrative and judicial actions will be taken.

If any changes occur in your life or the child’s, you may request a review of the current child support order.

In Scott County, the Family Court Judge hears all cases pertaining to divorce, dissolution, legal separation, annulment, locating noncustodial parents, establishing paternity and support obligations, and collecting and distributing support payments.

What Is Child Support?

Child support is a court-ordered payment made by a noncustodial parent to either the custodial parent or legal guardian of the child to assist with the costs of raising a child(ren).

A noncustodial parent (NCP) does not have physical custody of the child(ren) but is required to provide child and/or medical support.

A custodial parent (CP) has physical custody of the child(ren) and is typically the parent of the child(ren) but could also be a relative or other caretaker. The custodial parent receives the child support and/or provides medical support.

How Does Child Support Work In Scott County?

In Kentucky, both parents are legally obligated to support their child(ren) until they reach the age of 18 or graduate from high school, whichever comes later.

In general, the amount of child support a noncustodial parent will be ordered to pay is based on their income and the number of children they are responsible for supporting. The court uses the Kentucky Child Support Guidelines to determine the amount of child support that should be paid. 

There are a couple of ways to receive child support payments, including direct deposit into a bank account or through a prepaid debit card provided by the Division of Child Support.

To open a child support case in Georgetown, Kentucky, you must apply on the Kentucky Child Support Interactive website.

The first step is to find out where the other parent lives or works. We can’t promise we’ll find the other parent, but the more information you provide, such as the other parent’s date of birth and social security number, the easier it will be. If we haven’t already established paternity, we can do so after we find the parent.

Following that, we can establish the child support order and calculate the payment amount. Child support guidelines determine how much a parent should contribute to their child’s financial support. We don’t need to establish a new child support order if you already have an existing one.

The most common payment method is to deduct money from the parent’s paycheck and distribute it to the other parent or guardian. It’s a simple way to make and track child support payments.

We use enforcement remedies such as withholding child support from paychecks, unemployment or worker’s compensation benefits, intercepting income tax refunds, and reporting delinquent child support payments to credit reporting bureaus when the parent does not pay the full amount or does not pay at all.

Three years after the order is set, either parent can request our local child support office to review the child support order. They can also request a review before the three years if their circumstances have changed significantly, such as job loss or incarceration.

What Are The Custodial Parents' Responsibilities?

As the custodial parent, you are responsible for keeping our office updated on any changes in address or telephone number for both yourself and/or the noncustodial parent. It’s also important that you let us know if new actions are happening within this case so we can efficiently process it through court systems as quickly as possible.

We understand that your case is very important to you, and we appreciate your patience as we work through the process. Processing time can vary depending on the information provided and the type of actions required. In some instances, delays may occur if the noncustodial parent lives out of state or our office cannot locate them. Please know that we are working hard on your case and appreciate your cooperation.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Child Support

To determine the amount of child support a noncustodial parent must pay, you’ll need to use one of the following forms (take note that the CS-71.1 is only required if one parent has 100 percent of the family’s total income and must print a copy of the Child Support Guidelines Table on top of any of the forms that need printing):

  • CS-71 — Worksheet For Monthly Child Support Obligation
  • CS-71.1 — Worksheet For Monthly Child Support Obligation Exception
  • CS-71 — Worksheet For Monthly Child Support Obligation in Spanish
  • CS-71.1 — Worksheet For Monthly Child Support Obligation Exception in Spanish
  • Guidelines Tables

Parents who have a child support and/or medical support order, or wish to create one, can apply for child enforcement services. If paternity has not been established yet for your child(ren), it will be set up before a child support arrangement is made.

Parents, whether custodial or noncustodial, can apply for support services online. Applying for these services is free of charge, and child support services are automatically provided to current and former recipients of K-TAP and medical assistance.

The Kentucky Child Support Interactive Website allows you to make electronic payments. With your name and case number and/or social security number as identifying information, payments may be made by check or money order (no cash). By mailing a check or money order made payable to CSE with your case number and/or SSN to Division of Child Support, P.O. BOX 14059 Lexington, KY 40512

The state legislature has set up a mathematical equation that factors in both parents’ incomes, medical insurance costs, daycare expenses, and any other older children’s support payments.

Yes, you can request a copy of your payment history from your caseworker at the Scott County Child Support Office in Kentucky.

Request that your child support caseworker takes enforcement action. Many enforcement remedies such as court action, income withholding, denial or suspension of a driver’s or professional license, intercept of lottery winnings, intercept of state or federal taxes, and denial of a passport are available to child support staff.

Child support and visitation rights are two entirely different legal issues. If you’re court-ordered to pay child support, you must do so even if you don’t see the children often or at all. However, if there’s a court order granting you visitation and the custodial parent refuses to let you see the children, your next step would be filing a motion with the court asking that he/she be held in contempt of court.

If there is a substantial and ongoing change in circumstances (for example, a change in income for one or both parties or an older child leaving home) that results in a need to raise or lower the amount of support by at least 15%, then the amount can be changed.

A motion to modify support must be filed in the same court that originally set the support. Only a judge-signed court order can legally change the amount of child support. If both parties agree, both sides and the judge can sign an agreed-upon order. Without an agreement, a hearing in court is required, and the judge makes the decision.